If you are looking for real culture immersion and volunteer service experience abroad, then you are in the right place. Apply and book a placement with our Uganda culture immersion and volunteer service project. Go Volunteer Africa offers culture immersion and volunteer service opportunity in Uganda.
Many international volunteers seek volunteer placements with cultural immersion opportunities. We have created this Uganda culture immersion and volunteer service project with such a traveler on mind. This is the best volunteer travel opportunity to take you to a very authentic off the beaten track locations not overcrowded with tourists and volunteers, where you will really understand Uganda’s culture, traditions, way of life and get to know the local people.
- Child care assistance
- Sports development help
- Health or medical support
- Community development projects aid
- Professional, technical or vocational skills development assistance
- Ecological, wildlife, biodiversity, natural resource and environmental protection
- Teaching assistance: any subject or field of competence and/or interest
- Culture, family or community deep dive (diversity management dynamics, teamwork, social and intercultural communication skills development)
- International onsite/in home country training and teaching of Ugandan native and indigenous traditional and cultural drumming, dancing, story telling, drama and artistic performance
The Uganda cultural immersion and volunteer service experience will be more eye-opening and enriching if volunteer travelers approach their trip with the right attitude and take the proper steps towards the goal of cross-cultural understanding. This is the perfect program that will offer volunteer participants a much broader worldview by living in a different culture and embracing it.
After booking this volunteer travel experience in Uganda, you should take some time to mentally prepare for your encounter so that experience your journey as an enriching cultural exchange, rather than culture shock. Before the trip, it is advisable for to do the following preparations:
- Adopt a curious mind-set, a good learning attitude, and an adventurous spirit. Keep an open mind and be respectful of differences, and above all be adaptable.
- Learn and research the culture before departure. Thanks to the internet, all this information is only a few keystrokes away. When doing online research, seek out current news, social and economic development status, prominent religions, cultural norms, gender roles, education, ethics, and the history of the country–what they are proud of, what they have endured, etc. Not only will this prepare travelers for what they should expect in the foreign land, but it will also enhance local interactions as the indigenous people will appreciate the traveler’s effort to learn their ways.
Once you are in Uganda, you should adopt a few behaviors to get the most out of this Uganda cultural immersion and volunteer travel experience:
- Make an effort to make friends with the locals, instead of just hanging out with other travelers.
- Do not only visit popular tourism sites; ask local people where they go for entertainment and join them.
- Try to engage a wide variety of people. Converse with both young and old alike, ask questions, listen, and show interest in what they have to say. When encountered with different opinions or ways of thinking, try to understand their reasoning instead of being judgmental.
- Avoid intense debates, especially when it concerns delicate topics such as religion and politics. One careless word is all it takes to accidentally offend the very ones the travelers are there to learn from.
- Travelers can also use humor to lighten up the mood. Many locals may feel shy towards foreigners at first, but can quickly open up if the traveler uses humor or engages them in their local language.
Whether you are teaching English or building schools in poor northern Uganda or islands, conserving fragile wildlife, or just participating in games and sports projects in rural Eastern Uganda region, our Uganda culture immersion and volunteer service project is an experience that can be hugely enriching and rewarding. This is the chance to immerse yourself in a remote community you might not otherwise have visited or a way to hone your skills and learn new ones.
Go Volunteer Africa designs meaningful and sustainable volunteer programs in Africa with long-term goals of making the local communities we assist entirely self-sufficient.
To get the best out of this Uganda culture immersion and volunteer service program, just get out of your comfort zone. Many western volunteers travel abroad only to find themselves hanging out with other westerners. While it is nice to share one’s experience with like-minded individuals, it is also worth the effort for travelers to make local friends in order to promote cross-cultural understanding. Going out of one’s comfort zone can be intimidating at times, but it can also be very exciting. The key is to approach the experience with the right attitude. Stay open-minded and be respectful so that the whole volunteer Africa experience will make friendships and memories that last a lifetime.
|Availability:||Project open all year round|
|Duration:||Minimum one week commitment|
|Age Limits:||Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.|
|Dates:||2nd or 16th of the month|
|Arrival dates:||1st or 15th of the month|
|Airport Arrival:||Airport pickup, meet and greet by GVA partner representative|
|Working Days:||Monday – Friday – 5 days a week, 3-5 hours in a day|
|Weekends:||Free – Travel / Sightseeing for long-term participants|
|Accommodation:||Host Families or volunteer house|
|Meals:||Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily|
|Support:||Pre-departure guide, In-country staff available 24/7|
|Location:||Mukono (Around Uganda)|
|7 weeks||$ 760|
|9 weeks||$ 960|
|Extra week||+ $100|
PLACEMENT BOOKING FEE:
After application process and acceptance into the program, you will be required to pay a placement booking and confirmation administration fee of USD$260. This is charged above the program fee quoted which is paid in cash upon arrival to your host country.
The fee covers: Administration Costs, Placement Booking & Confirmation, Pre-departure support & documentation, 24-hour international HQ back-up