Go Volunteer Africa is offering an amazing opportunity to gain hands-on medical experience in Kenya while providing much needed care Dentistry and Optometry services to disadvantaged people through a volunteer project. If you are a dental student or a dentist searching for a well-organized and life-changing volunteering opportunity in Africa, this is the best placement for you.
The dentistry and optometry volunteer project in Kenya is organized in various communities across the country for medical professionals, students, or someone hoping to study dentistry or optometry in the future and gain some work experience. The project offers a wonderful opportunity to gain practical experience in dentistry in Kenya, and can be customized to meet your interests and skills. Volunteers will work under an experienced supervisor.
- Communicating with patients to get detailed case histories in order to provide the emergency eye care services they need
- Examining the eyes of patients of all ages to detect signs of injury, disease, abnormality or vision defects
- Checking for signs and symptoms of general health conditions (e.g. diabetes)
- Using specialist equipment for diagnosis and testing
- Issuing prescriptions for spectacles or contact lenses
- Fitting and checking prescribed lenses in order to correct vision defects
- Help the blind or low visibility patients with special requirements
- Offering advice and reassurance about vision-related matters
- Offering help and advice for patients choosing frames and lenses
- Writing referral communications to doctors
- Liaising with other medical practitioners and sometimes sharing the care of patients with chronic ophthalmic conditions
- Preventative dental care
- orthodontist services
- Dental health education (brushing and flossing techniques, etc.)
- Common pediatric oral care procedures
- Dental health screenings
- Root canals and scaling
- Supporting dental hygienists
- Maintenance of dental equipment
- Other support roles associated with running a mobile dental clinic
Volunteering in the dental projects rewards you with valuable experience that will help boost your career. Additionally, working with trained and specialized dentists enhances your knowledge, while providing you with the confidence to be able to tackle the day-to-day challenges. It is also a lifetime opportunity to immerse in another culture and experience life from a different perspective.
The type of work you will be allocated will depend to an extent on your own abilities and capabilities, which is understandable given that you will be dealing with patient health and safety. You will be involved in the day-today running of hospitals and clinics, observing or directly assisting the doctors and nurses. If you plan on specializing in a particular field of medicine, we can arrange to place you in a relevant department, to ensure that you receive maximum experience support.
These volunteer placements are ideal for professionals in students or those interested in pursuing this profession. There are placements available at clinics, hospitals, schools and remote locations in places across Kenya. While trained professionals will be able to treat patients in the field, those volunteering as an assistant will be placed under the guidance of professional supervisors.
For volunteers without any training or background, tasks may range from general administrative assistance to providing basic training in the community. Apply to help people and communities around Kenya by providing dental and optical treatment and preventive care.
|Availability:||Project open all year round|
|Duration:||Minimum 1 week commitment|
|Age Limits:||Minimum 18yrs and above|
|Dates:||Flexible start and end dates|
|Arrival dates:||One day before the start date|
|Airport Arrival:||Airport pickup, meet and greet by GVA partner representative|
|Working Days:||Monday – Friday – 5 days a week, 5-8 hours in a day|
|Weekends:||Travel / Sightseeing NOT included in program cost|
|Accommodation:||Volunteer House or Host Family|
|Meals:||Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily|
|Support:||Pre-departure guide, In-country staff available 24/7|
|Location:||Nairobi, Mombasa, Malindi, Kisumu and Eldoret|
|7 weeks||$ 860|
|9 weeks||$ 1060|
|Extra week||+ $100|
PLACEMENT BOOKING FEE:
After application process and acceptance into the program, you will be required to pay a placement booking and confirmation administration fee of USD$180 (solo traveler), USD$150 (2-5 participants p/p), USD$125 (6+ participants p/p). This is charged above the program fee quoted which is paid in cash upon arrival to your host country.
The fee covers: Administration Costs, Placement Booking & Confirmation, Pre-departure support & documentation, 24-hour international HQ back-up